Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'm asking the face in the mirror.....

As I watch our economy slowly go into a tail spin I ask myself, what am I doing to contribute to this economy.
I think the biggest factor in the decline in the real estate market is all of the press. People are afraid to buy! Prices are fabulous, lowest in 3 years. Interest is even better! Can people get loans! Absolutely. Perhaps they will have to do a bit of credit clean-up, but you are talking weeks, not months. This is a great time. The thing that is creating this whole mess is our thinking.

I just read a fantastic article in the Readers digest about these trying times. Perhaps we ( Me included) are focusing on the 1/2 empty glass rather than the 1/2 full one.

Some of the points that I loved in the article are:


  • Free Time- we have so much more than people in other ages and in other countries. The typical American spends only 20% of our waking time earning a living. If you feel too busy it is because you are putting a lot of extra activities into your life. Your choice!

  • Unemployment- Yes we are short on jobs, but it isn't near what the depression had. They had 44% unemployment, we aren't even close. We also have creative ways to make money that wasn't available to the people then.

  • Roomier homes- We have more space than ever. Consider the home you grew up in. We had 5 kids and 1 bathroom. Most shared bedrooms. In 1950 Nearly 1/2 of Americans didn't own their own home. Today more than 2/3 's do.

  • More wilderness. Once you travel beyond the spraw, you will find open space and peaceful forests. In recent decades, America has gained 70 million acres of wilderness, which is more than all of the land currently occupied by cities, suburbs. More people can get to this wilderness to enjoy it because of technology. We love 4 wheeling. We see country we never would on foot or in a car.

  • Our cars, they last longer, are less expensive to drive and the fatality rate for accidents is down drastically. It's a reare site to come upon a broken down car. One we used to see all of the time.

  • Memories. The gift of longer life has usually been accompanied by loss of memories. We have so many fabulous ways to enjoy those memories, digital photos, scrapbooking, journaling has never been easier. In the past only nobles and scribes could hire someone to write their life story. Now everyone has option at their fingertip.

  • The Reading revolution- in 1970 barely 1/2 the people of the world were literate, and only a few could afford a book. Middle class people needed payment plans to afford an encyclopedia. Now we have free books at our fingertips, ie libraries and the web. Today more than 80% of the world can READ!!

  • Horn of Plenty, Never before have a people been able to eat like kings for as little money. You can buy a kiwi from New Zealand, gelato from Italy, fresh fish in the desert. These wonderful treats aren't only for royalty.

It's a wonderful life, and I am tired of spreading the gloom and doom. I am going to ask that face in the mirror what I am doing to be thankful and count my blessings instead of looking at that 1/2 empty glass. I do have all the food I want to eat! I do have a roof over my head! I do have so much! It is a wonderful life.

No comments: